Kevin Love Pens Candid Piece On Panic Attacks, Mental Health

Cavs forward Kevin Love disclosed he is dealing with panic attacks

Love did not address the January panic attack or the team's reaction in his Players' Tribune piece.

The Cavaliers forward detailed how he had his first panic attack when Cleveland faced the Atlanta Hawks in the National Basketball Association on November 5 a year ago.

Prior to Tuesday's matchup with the Nets, Warriors coach Steve Kerr commended Cleveland forward Kevin Love for sharing his mental health story.

In the short time I've been meeting with the therapist, I've seen the power of saying things out loud in a setting like that.

"Today, I've realized I need to change that", Love wrote. Love was overcome by anxiety during a November 5 game against Atlanta and was briefly hospitalized. "I'm just starting to do the hard work of getting to know myself". Partly, I want to do it for me, but mostly, I want to do it because people don't talk about mental health enough.

In an open letter on The Players' Tribune, Love broached the subject of his mental health, revealing that on November 5, during a home game against Atlanta, right after halftime, he suffered a panic attack. Both have mentioned that if you were to just look at them, you wouldn't think they had a mental health issue but they did and so does a lot of people.

"It was like my body was trying to say to me, You're about to die". I nodded, but I didn't hear much of what he said.

In any case, now that Love has made his panic attacks a matter of public record, everything has been put in perspective.

Kevin Love wants everyone to know it is okay to seek help. Now as I fought back vomit, there was nothing I wanted more than to be indistinguishable. It's here as I type, wondering who might read this and immediately think less of me.

Love has not played since January 30 as he nurses his way back to health after suffering a broken bone in his left hand.

The incident still weighed on him, though, and the thought of anyone finding out bothered him, too.

"Then came the panic attack", the 29-year-old five-time All-Star wrote.

"I was running from room to room, like I was looking for something I couldn't find".

Sources familiar with the meeting told ESPN's Dave McMenamin that Love disclosed to his teammates that he had suffered another panic attack during the loss to the Thunder. I remember when I was two or three years into the league, a friend asked me why National Basketball Association players didn't see therapists.

"I know you don't just get rid of problems by talking about them, but I've learned that over time maybe you can better understand them and make them more manageable", he wrote. "I'm trying to be good to the people in my life".

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Gender Ministry Announces 2018 International Women's Day Celebration
Mar 08, 2018 - 01:42
International Women's Day is a global day celebrating the economic, cultural and political achievements of women. There are set to be tons of IWD events going on across the United Kingdom - see what's going on near you below.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Michael B Jordan offers to replace fan's retainer
Mar 08, 2018 - 01:38
Jordan . "Since I feel partly responsible for breaking your retainers let me know if I can replace them", the actor tweeted her. The hilarious incident was revealed over the weekend when the fan's orthodontist took to his Tumblr to recall what happened.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Overdoses in PA emergency rooms nearly doubled, according to CDC report
Mar 08, 2018 - 01:36
But some states, such as Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island showed a slight decrease. "There's a lot more we can do", he said.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top U.S. gov: 'potential risks' with Broadcom's Qualcomm deal
Mar 08, 2018 - 01:33
The deal's pushback on national security grounds is seen by some as trade posturing by the Trump administration against China. Several proposed takeovers by overseas investors have fallen apart over the past year after failing to resolve the concerns.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Sanctuary Showdown: The Feds Sue California
Mar 08, 2018 - 01:30
The demand may end up being definitive case where role of local and state administrations in immigration policy is dirimad. Brown and Attorney General Xavier Becerra , both named defendants in the lawsuit , sharply condemned it as a meritless.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Nashville mayor to resign after pleading guilty to theft charge
Mar 08, 2018 - 01:29
Summary: The mayor of Nashville , Tennessee resigned on Tuesday due to her misconduct as a result of her affair. Though the affair derailed her first term, her guilty plea has done severe damage to her political career.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top 'The Americans' actress injured, daughter killed in New York crosswalk
Mar 07, 2018 - 11:50
Meanwhile, Miranda wrote , "Heartsick for Ruthie and her family", and later shared a link to the GoFundMe page set up for Lew. Brun reportedly told police that the crash happened after she tried to avoid hitting a auto by swerving out of the way.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Amazon chief Jeff Bezos tops Forbes world's rich list
Mar 07, 2018 - 11:46
Arnault is the chairman and Chief Executive Officer of LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton the world's largest luxury-goods company. The U.A.E. with 7 entries, has the highest number of billionaires from any country, followed by Egypt with six billionaires.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Justice Department Suing California Over Immigration Policies
Mar 07, 2018 - 11:45
But other groups, including the sheriffs' association, remained opposed to the legislation. The lawsuit combats California's "sanctuary state" laws that shield immigrants from U.S.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top U.S. speaks on Nigeria's 2019 elections, reveals plans
Mar 07, 2018 - 11:44
Hruby, former managing director of the Whitaker Group, an Africa-focused corporate strategy and investment advisory firm. Those are issues too that we're working in Zimbabwe with the transition between Robert Mugabe and Emmerson Mnangagwa.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Faye Dunaway reflects on 2017 Oscars Best Picture flub
Mar 07, 2018 - 11:43
Sunday. "This year when you hear your name called, don't get up right away", Kimmel told the nominees. As he showed her the envelope, she took it from him before revealing that La La Land was the victor .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top E-cigarettes produce cancer-causing chemicals in bodies of vapers
Mar 07, 2018 - 11:42
Propylene oxide and crotonaldeyde are probable carcinogens , the EPA says, while acrylamide's role in causing cancer is more controversial.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Confirmed by Gamestop Merchandise Listing
Mar 07, 2018 - 11:40
Activision usually announces new Call of Duty titles around April or May so its a bit early for them to reveal anything yet. Take a look at 22 of the biggest and best looking new games coming to PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch in 2018 and beyond.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Guatemala to move embassy in Israel to Jerusalem in May
Mar 06, 2018 - 01:51
Of his own decision, Morales said , "It is important to be among the first, but it is more important to do it right". Earlier this month, the U.S. said the move would take place to coincide with Israel's 70th birthday.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top U.S. embassy in Ankara temporarily closes due to security threat
Mar 06, 2018 - 01:48
A statement issued by embassy staff recommended that Americans "keep a low profile" in the Turkish capital and avoid large crowds. Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozda─č said that Turkey is the country most effectively fighting against Daesh.